…because it’s not quite fall yet, y’all!
Do you feel the same struggle I’m feeling these days? You keep hearing about pumpkin spice everything, but you’re still sweating in your sleeveless top and shorts. The struggle is real this time of the year in Houston! If you want to indulge in a little pumpkin spice flavor, but you don’t want to start sweating when you sip on a hot latte, I’ve got the recipe for you! Houston’s answer to the PSL is…a Pumpkin Spice Smoothie. Cool, refreshing, and all of the Fall vibes you’ve been craving. While this recipe has less calories than the pumpkin spice lattes you might find elsewhere, it still has natural sugar from the banana and maple syrup. Use this as a healthier version of the PSL to #treatyoself. Here’s my favorite go-to recipe:
- 1 frozen banana (I usually freeze in halves or quarters so it’s easier to blend)
- 2-3 cubes frozen pumpkin puree* (freezing is optional, but highly recommended for texture! If not using frozen cubes of pumpkin, use 1/3- 2/3 cups of pumpkin puree, depending on how pumpkin-y you want it)
- 1T pure maple syrup to sweeten (optional)
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1-1.5 cups milk of choice (almond, coconut, dairy, whatever you like!)
- Optional add-ons or swaps:
- 1 serving of protein powder for a protein boost
- Sub the milk for 1/2 cold coffee and 1/2 milk to make it more like a pumpkin spice frappuccino
- Use 1 cup of frozen cauliflower rice instead of the frozen banana to get the creamy smoothie texture with lower calories and less sugar. It won’t taste like cauliflower. Promise!
- Put all ingredients into a blender making sure that the milk covers the ingredients completely. Use less milk for a creamier, thicker texture. Blend until smooth and enjoy!
*Take 1 can of pumpkin puree (NOT pumpkin pie filling!) and pour into an ice cube tray. Freeze for a couple of hours or overnight before popping the cubes into a baggie or other storage container for use in smoothies
**If you want to add some protein, go right ahead!