Spring is heeeeeeerrreeee!!! Okay, it’s been here for over a week, but I’m still excited! Each time the seasons change, it’s a great time to think of new ways to freshen up your health and fitness routine to celebrate. As the weather starts to warm up, we begin to move away from the dense, heavier comfort foods of the winter months and lighten it up with fresh, vibrant Spring produce. In addition to changing up your nutrition, Spring is a great time to start reintroducing outdoor activities as the weather continues to warm up. This is especially true if you’ve been feeling cooped-up indoors due to less than wonderful weather. Can you feel the sunshine on your skin? Smell the flowers blooming (assuming that the pollen hasn’t completely blocked your airways)? I hope that these Spring-inspired nutrition and fitness ideas will inspire you to spring clean your health and fitness routine this month!
Simple Spring Breakfast Scramble
1 Serving, easy to double or triple for more people!
-2-3+ of your favorite spring veggies, 1/2 cup of each veggie chopped (one of my favorite combos is asparagus, mushroom, onion, and spinach)
-2 eggs, scrambled with sea salt and pepper
-fresh chopped parsley (for garnish)
-diced avocado (for garnish and some healthy fat)
-Optional: additional protein (ground turkey, shredded chicken, etc.)
- Chop veggies to bite-size
- Heat 1 tsp of oil in a pan over medium heat
- Add veggies to the heated pan and sauté until the veggies begin to soften. (optional step: add cooked meat to the veggies and allow to heat through before adding eggs!) While the veggies saute, scramble your eggs with a pinch of sea salt and pepper in a small bowl
- When veggies are softened, pour your eggs into the pan with the veggies and gently fold in the eggs until the eggs are cooked through.
- Transfer to a serving dish and top with the chopped parsley and avocado for a delicious breakfast!
Seasonal Fitness- Time to get outside!
Here are some simple, yet fun ways to get outside this Spring:
- Try some walks outside with your furry or non-furry friends and loved ones!
- Join a recreational sports team. Did you know that Houston has many options for outdoor sports and activities? You don’t have to be an avid athlete to get outside and play some sports! Check out this website for activities offered as well as a list of local parks and trails to check out locally! http://www.houstontx.gov/parks/
- Hit the trails! There are groups in Houston that specialize in local outdoor activities (like hiking, biking, stand up paddle boarding, kayaking, etc.). Bayou City Outdoors (BCO) and HTXOutdoors are two great groups to check out to get out there and have some fun!
It’s your turn: Apply what you’ve learned!
- Pick a few new veggies to add to your weekly rotation in celebration of the new seasonal offerings. Want to make sure you’re eating seasonal foods? Try out a local farmer’s market to see what’s really in season!
- Get outside for a workout this week. You’ll be surprised at how revitalizing a quick stroll during lunch can be.
Give it a try and let us know how it goes! Now, if you’ll excuse me, I need to take my furry friend out for a stroll in the sunshine. Hope to see you out there!