Do you have at least one serving of vegetables in each meal? How about with your breakfast? Say, whaaaaaat?! Yes, veggies at breakfast! If you’re not used to including veggies in your first meal of the day, I’ve got a great recipe for you to try. The best part of this recipe is that you can use it as inspiration and sub your favorite protein/vegetable combos to make it suit your taste. I’ll even go the extra mile and offer some alternate options if these veggies/flavors are not up your alley. Give it a try and you won’t be sorry! Even better, you might just find a delicious way to pack in lots of nutrition before you even hit the office.
Mexican Breakfast Casserole
Makes 6 servings
1 pound of chorizo
3 zucchini, diced
3 bell peppers, diced
1 bag of spinach, chopped
sea salt and pepper to taste
Avocado and chopped cilantro for topping
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
- Line a 9×13 baking dish with parchment paper, or coat the dish with the oil of your choice
- Place the chopped zucchini and bell pepper on the bottom of the baking dish
- Brown your chorizo on the stovetop until completely cooked. Once cooked, stir in the chopped spinach and allow it to wilt (about 2-3 minutes)
- While the chorizo is cooking, whisk your eggs with sea salt and pepper until the eggs are foamy
- Evenly spread the chorizo and spinach mixture over the chopped veggies
- Pour eggs over the casserole and spread evenly throughout with a spatula
- Bake, uncovered, in the oven for 45 minutes or until the eggs are set in the middle
- Serve with avocado slices and chopped cilantro if desired!
Other protein/veggie combos:
-Shredded chicken, chopped tomato, basil, feta (whisk all ingredients with the eggs and pour into the dish. I’d add some sliced tomatoes to the top to make it look even prettier!)
-Ground turkey, chopped asparagus, red onion (be sure to brown the meat first!)
-Pizza style: ground italian sausage (cook the meat before baking!), chopped olives, chopped green bell pepper and onion, diced tomato, and Italian seasoning. You could also add a sprinkle of cheese if you’re feelin’ it.
-Kitchen sink casserole: Use the cooked protein and veggies that you have leftover in the fridge for a delicious, healthy breakfast.
Bonus: If you make this over the weekend, you can enjoy an easy grab and go breakfast all week! Give it a try and let us know what you think! Better yet, if you have a combo that you love, share in the comments below to give everyone some food inspo.