Breakfast…the first meal of the day that helps us break our overnight fast. This first meal of the day could arguably set you up for success for the rest of the day if done right. Many of my clients ask me for breakfast ideas, and I’m hoping that this post will give you lots of Instagram-worthy breakfast inspiration! Since we all have different likes and dislikes, I decided to poll some clients at The Train Station to find out what their favorite go-to healthy breakfast consists of in the hopes that it will help you come up with some new ideas to shake up your healthy morning routine! Here’s what some of the ladies of The Train Station are fueling up with in the AM:
- Egg Cupcakes- This one is great because it’s totally customizable! You use muffin tins to make mini egg frittatas with the veggies/protein of your choice! Plus, they’re super easy to grab and eat on the go. Here’s the recipe link: https://sarahfragoso.com/egg-cupcakes/
- Toasted whole grain bread (one client uses a 100% whole grain German bread, another mentioned Dave’s Good Seed thin sliced bread- just read your ingredient labels for whole ingredients that you recognize!), topped with nut butter or even PB2 if you want a lower-fat option. Eat this delicious and nutritious toast with some fresh berries for a pop of color and good micronutrients.
- Avocado toast topped with a fried egg. Avocado toast is trending! For those of you who haven’t heard of it, toast your whole grain or sprouted bread and mash down some avocado on top. You can top this deliciousness with veggies and even some additional protein (like chicken apple sausage), or just throw a fried egg on top like this client does! Yum!
- Oatmeal served with a side of greek yogurt and berries. I love this combo because you’ve got your carbohydrate source, good protein with the yogurt, and even some healthy fat if you eat the 2% or full fat yogurt. Another way to get some healthy fats would be to sprinkle on some chopped nuts, hemp seeds, or chia seeds.
- Spiralized beets (you can buy these already spiralized!) sautéed in ghee or avocado oil with onions served with a fried egg, sliced avocado, and sauerkraut (hello, gut health!). This colorful, veggie-packed breakfast is sure to give you the powerhouse of nutrients that you need to fuel your morning!
- One client cooks up some breakfast patties and reheats them throughout the week. She likes to use ground turkey thighs and adds seasoning. What a quick and easy on-the-go protein option! This would be a great addition to that avocado toast or on the side of the toast and nut butter for some extra protein!
- Two hard-boiled eggs (easy to do ahead of time!), ¼ of an avocado, oven roasted fingerling potatoes (cooked ahead of time), zucchini patty, and 4 ounces of orange juice mixed with Pelegrino for a nice sparkly beverage. Don’t forget the shot of coconut kefir for gut health!
As far as AM beverages, I always recommend drinking 16 ounces of water right when you get up. Your body has been without water all night, so it could use some replenishment. Also, a hot cup of coffee or tea along your favorite breakfast never hurts in the morning. Just try not to kill the benefits of caffeine or herbal tea by dumping in all of the cream and sugar you can find! A little bit goes a long way.
It’s your turn! Apply what you’ve learned:
-My challenge to you this week is to try a new breakfast item! You don’t have to completely overhaul your current breakfast, but look for one way to change it up. For example, if you currently don’t include veggies, think of a way you might incorporate a vegetable. Spinach in a smoothie, or scrambled with eggs is a good easy way to add some greens to your morning without offending your taste buds. Give it a try!
What do you have for breakfast?? We’d love to get your breakfast inspo to help share the wealth. Happy healthy eating!